Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What I Want (a list)

I was over at Los Angelista's Guide to the Pursuit of Happiness and she mentioned that someone suggested that she make a list of what she wanted. I don't know what the real reason behind the list was, but the idea of making a list of what I wanted was in interesting one to me, so I'm just going to run with it.

So, without further ado and in no particular order whatsoever...


I WANT...

... to be able to see my children grow up.

... for people to stop bickering and killing over gods and religions and start simply treating each other with respect and tolerance instead.

... my younger son to outgrow his food allergies.

... to stay strong as long as possible.

... my children to find their gifts and follow what makes them happy.

... to never stop trying new things.

... to see the Northern Lights.

... to go to Burning Man Festival.

... to see a rational leader in the White House.

... to get my braces off.

... to spin fire for the first time within three months.

... to always have friends whom I love.

... all the moles in my yard to go away.

... help with the yard work.

... for my mother to be around for a long time to come.

... have an extra lifetime so that I can read all the books that interest me.

... to go to Rome and Greece to see the ruins.

... to see the mighty Himalayas.

... to live in an old house that has a lot of character and individuality.

... to spend one more day as a child.

... to have an income doing something that I love while still being able to teach my kids.

... to go to a place with better shore breaks for skim boarding.

... my kids to love reading.

... to find the perfect bright raspberry color to paint my living room.

... to have less "stuff".

... live in a place where people go out and about, not come home from work to hide in their houses.

... to see the ocean more.

... to cook interesting and delicious food.

Speaking of which, I'm hungry. Gotta go eat.

So, what is it that you want?

10 comments:

Me said...

You and I seem to want the very same things :)

velvet said...

orhan-
Maybe we're twins. ;-)

Bernie said...

I want many of the same things on your list, especially for people to stop bickering, a rational leader, to see the ocean more, friends who love me and to have less stuff. I also want to hike in the Grand Canyon, finish college, lose 25 pounds, buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle and never lose interest in photography.

So you have braces? That's cool. I had mine in my 40s.

velvet said...

bernie-
Those are really great wants! Are you studying now or are you thinking about going back to school? That'd be cool! I hear you about the Grand Canyon; I want to see it, too, along with dozens of other places.

Yes, I bit the bullet and got braces right after New Year and have maybe seven months to go. It's fun picking colors every six weeks for the bottom brackets (the top are "clear"), but I really am over the whole "food getting stuck in your braces" thing. Did that bug you as much as it bugs me?! AAAAARGH. I look forward to the day when I can floss my teeth in fewer than seven minutes. ;-)

Tammie Jean said...

Great list, Velvet! I believe in making lists, and taking small steps toward making wishes come true. We share many wants... maybe I'll have to post my list :)

Bernie said...

I love broccoli and apples and when I had my braces, I'd have to over cook the broccoli to make it a little mushy and cut the apples into small pieces. It ONLY takes you 7 minutes to floss??

I visited the Grand Canyon and nearby Monument Valley in 2000 and took the best pictures of my life on that trip. I need to buy a film scanner some day so I can scan and post them.

I've return to college last Fall, and completed one class. I began a History class twice, but had to withdraw both times because I was so busy. I'm going to try again in the fall. B y the time I graduate my blog will be called 60-something.

Jocelyn said...

Well, I want to know if you're climbing ever these days.

For me? I want to be fully in the moment with my kids or fully in the moment with my work--not constantly feeling the need to be with the other when I'm "focusing" on one of them.

Me said...

I want.. you to keep posting! Don't you go missing again.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Nice list. If I made one, some of the same things would be on it.

velvet said...

tammie jean-
It is nice to see one's desires down all together in one big picture sometimes. It gives such a different picture than seeing it in random wants spread out far apart from each other and makes it even more inspiring to pursue some of them. I'd love to see your list if you do one!


bernie-
I love broccoli, but getting the little bits from the florettes stuck behind the wires drives me to distraction, seriously. Maybe it would help if I mentioned that one of my pet peeves is feeling food stuck in my teeth. Counting the months......... aaarrgh.

I'd love to see those photos! I hope that you get that scanner sometime soon... it would be great to see them. As for going back to school, that's really great! Hey, 50's, 60's, pshaw, it's the doing that matters, right?


jocelyn-
I've been climbing at the gym, but not outside since I went to a competition in March. Hopefully I'll get a chance soon because it definitely is the season to be out there.

That's a really great thing to want, but one of the hardest to deliver. Modern life has a way of pulling us in several directions at once. I hope that you find a way to do what you want. :-)


orhan-
I hear you! I do want to post, but things have been busy and my brain has been mush. Hopefully things will start to solidify soon. ;-)


heart-
I'd love to see more people's lists. Life is such a different experience for us all and it greatly affects the directions that we choose to go in and the things that we desire to do or have. I think it's absolutely fascinating.